Thursday, June 19, 2008

This is NOT a pity-post

Okay. If you are reading this, please consider leaving a comment for me. I am asking for help, with absolutely no pity from ANYONE, as I already have had enough pity parties on my own. It is time to fix some things. I realized yesterday that I have been experiencing a number of stress-related symptoms. Physical, mental, emotional. This 'deployment' the hardest have been the physical symptoms (ie: chest, stomache, muscle pain). Now, I am not going to the doc to ask why this and that mysteriously hurt when I know why. So, what I want from you is some real advice. How do you deal with your stressful situations? We all experience them, and some things are definitely harder than others which result in different responses for everyone. I am not sure why this time has been a little tougher for me than previous times, but I suspect the Lord is trying to answer one of my 'please make me stronger' prayers by providing me with the opportunity to grow. I asked and received, and am now asking you for some good tips. (A good foot massage, while nice for relieving stress, would not be a good tip right now :)

11 comments:

Bethany said...

That is a hard question. I have never had to relieve the stress my children cause without the aid of Brandon. So, whether this is feasible or not, I don't know. But I will throw it out. My number one stress relief is exercise. And we aren't talking about just a walk in the park. I mean work-out so hard that you can't think about anything else besides getting those last 10 sit-ups in. Work-out so hard that after you are done you think. Mna, I did that, I can deal with three screaming rugrats. Maybe a good Tae-Bo video or something, since I know you probably can't go to a gym? Or maybe you are more of a Yoga or Pilates kind of person. Someone that needs time to breath deeply and stretch all the stress out. I have been known to get some serious tension headaches, especially after Marie was born and she made it known that she was going to be a difficult baby. Since I started going to the gym regularly, no headaches. I would like to bear my testimony of exercise as a stress reliever . . . Good luck! I know you don't want any pity, but I can send you a big hug . . . (((((hug))))

Methodical Wormer said...

I don't even want to imagine going through what you have to endure! You are a better woman than I am. For a stress reliever I like to go and do something where I can just be me. Maybe something you did before you had kids or even before you got married. The biggest help to me has been taking a dance class, which is something I have always loved. If you aren't already, make arrangements for you to get a way for a little while each week to regain sanity and not have the weight of your family's world on your shoulders.

Shawn and Mish said...

Bethany, thanks. I guess it's time to get my booty in gear!

MW-NOT better than you. I know you have your own stresses that I wouldn't wish for and admire you for it! I think I will run away all by myself today!

Coordination Queen said...

When I would get stressed when Jake was in the hospital, during the drive home, I would turn on some (usually loud) music and sing at the top of my lungs. Kind of stupid, but it usually made me feel better. Last year my stress reliever was running. This year it is reading. But definitely make time for yourself, even if it is after putting the kids to bed. Stay up an hour longer, don't clean and just reading something fun and light.

Struthers Family said...

I dunno. Ask Mom!
Roo

Andrea said...

my doc told me to push fluids...so I squirt all the ants on mom's porch with my waterbottle. I would be happy to snail mail you a copy of our favorite list "How to relieve stress" until then, here are a few of my favorites to tide you over:
- Put your toddler's clothes on backwards and send them off to preschool as if nothing was wrong
-find out what a frog in a blender really looks like
-tatoo OUT TO LUNCH on your forehead

laugh out loud, because life's too short to frown

love you!

Shawn and Mish said...

Bam bam...
send me the list!!!! I was just thinking about it the other day and it is my favorite joke list!

Struthers Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Struthers Family said...

Hey, Mish.
We had a VERY CREEPY comment on our blog. It is SCARY. ANd NO I am NOT smiling. We are going to make it private. OKAY?!?!?

Anonymous said...

Take your kids to Catherine's house for the afternoon, then follow any of the above suggestions, kid-free!

;)

ShaRee said...

I think sometimes different kinds of stress require different types of treatment, the trick is finding out what will work best at the time :) Here are some things I do to help with my different stresses: take a nice & hot relaxing bath, play the piano, go to the temple, make a to-do list and check them off as I accomplish them, go for a long run, write in my journal, or even take a nap with the kids. You are amazing and so positive! You are a great example. Just remember, this too shall pass :)


my office...