What were some of your favorite youth activities? It's planning time and I'd like to hear some creative ideas. Please, please, please leave a little note :)
Hmm...Some of the ones I remember most: - Etiquette dinner nights w/ the YM - Singing/painting fingernails/bringing cards to the nusring home - Making a recipe box-you can make some super cute ones with a wooden box then decorate it w/ paper and modge podge - Cooking nights - We took turns learning a talent from each of the YM
Hope that helps! Have you ever tried www.sugardoodle.net? They have some great ideas. Good luck!
Man, I miss planning YW. Of course cooking/baking activities, fashion shows in retro clothes, make overs, playing sports, learning to tie quilts, holiday parties, going to the store to see who can buy the most things for 1.00, recipes exchange, roller skating in gym, packages for missionaries, time capsules to be open in 5-10 years, anything with food, scavenger hunts doing good deeds, picking up trash....always needed in the Norfolk area. Miss you all! Tell them all hi from me.
planning time is always interesting... lets see some fun ideas....
I saw this at my nieces activity and thought it was awesome... they had a newspaper fashion show... there was a wedding dress, a prom dress, a regular school dress, and I think a cheerleader and they used newspapers and tape... they had tons of fun
we also had fun with a video or sound rally where you have something to record, photo, or video and you go on a scavender hunt to find different things in teams, that was usually combined.
we did a heritage night once for class activities where we brought a story and food that represented our ancestors.
something like where the girls bring a dinner to share in a box and the guys pick the box and then they eat together like a picnic in the gym... doesn't even have to be boys and girls, could just be a way to get to know others
a number dinner, everything is assigned a number, even forks, spoons, etc.... then you pick a number and that is what you get for each course... so for the first course you may get a spoon and a drink. then for dinner you get spaghetti but no silverware...
there is always the carnival idea where people play games and get spiritual tickets or worldly ones and then they "die" and have to account for their time with their tickets. (this is one my husband remembers)
there are some ideas... alot of them require lots of planning and people, but I hope they help in some way. Good luck!
Wow you've already got a lot of ideas, which were ones I was going to mention, but one that hasn't been said is Flight 101. There's a lot of planning to it and an actual script but it's very spiritual. Let me know if you've not heard of it before and I can get you more details.
My girls loved water kickball, water balloon volleyball, siamese soccer (tie legs together reminiscent of a 3 leg race, and play soccer), cooking classes, game nights (we played getting to know you games one week just for fun), fondue night, we had a lot of evenings sewing clothes for the trek... but you could do sewing projects/tie quilts/crochet hats - and then donate them. We also had a "P" party for personal progress - fashion show wearing as many things as you could that start with a "p" the winner got a prize, we talked about ideas for their projects and had pizza & pop. We also heart attacked the inactive girls one week. That's all I can think of right now.
What about and evening on Individual Worth: --Each girl can receive a nice letter from their parents or advisors. --Each girl has a stack of blank papers and anonymously writes something that they admire about each girl on the papers. The papers are gathered and given to each girl to read alone. --they can write letters to themselves to be read in one year. They can write about how they feel now and any goals for the year. I think when I was in YW one of the PP requirements was to write a letter to be read at 18.... --during the activity you could do Satin Hands or have some other sort of pampering experience.
One time when I was an advisor I showed the girls how I had altered some of my clothes to make them more modest. I taught them how to stitch up a too-high slit, how to take down a hem, etc. It might be a good idea to give them basic alteration lessons, not just for modesty reasons, but how to make clothes fit their frame better. Maybe find someone with great fashion sense to come in a talk about how to dress, kind of like What Not To Wear.
I'll keep thinking of more ideas. It's been a *very* long time since I was in YW.
I was just on sugardoodle and saw that she's doing a service project that ends on November 30th. It involves card and blanket donations for the Ronald McDonald Houses throughout the world. There is one here in Norfolk on Colley Ave., across from CHKD. It would be a great service idea to have the girls make cards or simple fleece blankets and then go down to donate them.
***** word verification for this post: smashele It sounds like a nick name a brother would give his sister who is named Michelle. he he
8 comments:
Hmm...Some of the ones I remember most:
- Etiquette dinner nights w/ the YM
- Singing/painting fingernails/bringing cards to the nusring home
- Making a recipe box-you can make some super cute ones with a wooden box then decorate it w/ paper and modge podge
- Cooking nights
- We took turns learning a talent from each of the YM
Hope that helps! Have you ever tried www.sugardoodle.net? They have some great ideas. Good luck!
Water kickball (outside when it's warm), human foosball, manners dinner, missionary relay (lots of prep, but the youth loved it), still thinking...
Man, I miss planning YW.
Of course cooking/baking activities, fashion shows in retro clothes, make overs, playing sports, learning to tie quilts, holiday parties, going to the store to see who can buy the most things for 1.00, recipes exchange, roller skating in gym, packages for missionaries, time capsules to be open in 5-10 years,
anything with food, scavenger hunts doing good deeds, picking up trash....always needed in the Norfolk area.
Miss you all! Tell them all hi from me.
planning time is always interesting... lets see some fun ideas....
I saw this at my nieces activity and thought it was awesome... they had a newspaper fashion show... there was a wedding dress, a prom dress, a regular school dress, and I think a cheerleader and they used newspapers and tape... they had tons of fun
we also had fun with a video or sound rally where you have something to record, photo, or video and you go on a scavender hunt to find different things in teams, that was usually combined.
we did a heritage night once for class activities where we brought a story and food that represented our ancestors.
something like where the girls bring a dinner to share in a box and the guys pick the box and then they eat together like a picnic in the gym... doesn't even have to be boys and girls, could just be a way to get to know others
a number dinner, everything is assigned a number, even forks, spoons, etc.... then you pick a number and that is what you get for each course... so for the first course you may get a spoon and a drink. then for dinner you get spaghetti but no silverware...
there is always the carnival idea where people play games and get spiritual tickets or worldly ones and then they "die" and have to account for their time with their tickets. (this is one my husband remembers)
there are some ideas... alot of them require lots of planning and people, but I hope they help in some way. Good luck!
Wow you've already got a lot of ideas, which were ones I was going to mention, but one that hasn't been said is Flight 101. There's a lot of planning to it and an actual script but it's very spiritual. Let me know if you've not heard of it before and I can get you more details.
My girls loved water kickball, water balloon volleyball, siamese soccer (tie legs together reminiscent of a 3 leg race, and play soccer), cooking classes, game nights (we played getting to know you games one week just for fun), fondue night, we had a lot of evenings sewing clothes for the trek... but you could do sewing projects/tie quilts/crochet hats - and then donate them. We also had a "P" party for personal progress - fashion show wearing as many things as you could that start with a "p" the winner got a prize, we talked about ideas for their projects and had pizza & pop.
We also heart attacked the inactive girls one week. That's all I can think of right now.
What about and evening on Individual Worth:
--Each girl can receive a nice letter from their parents or advisors.
--Each girl has a stack of blank papers and anonymously writes something that they admire about each girl on the papers. The papers are gathered and given to each girl to read alone.
--they can write letters to themselves to be read in one year. They can write about how they feel now and any goals for the year. I think when I was in YW one of the PP requirements was to write a letter to be read at 18....
--during the activity you could do Satin Hands or have some other sort of pampering experience.
One time when I was an advisor I showed the girls how I had altered some of my clothes to make them more modest. I taught them how to stitch up a too-high slit, how to take down a hem, etc. It might be a good idea to give them basic alteration lessons, not just for modesty reasons, but how to make clothes fit their frame better. Maybe find someone with great fashion sense to come in a talk about how to dress, kind of like What Not To Wear.
I'll keep thinking of more ideas. It's been a *very* long time since I was in YW.
I was just on sugardoodle and saw that she's doing a service project that ends on November 30th. It involves card and blanket donations for the Ronald McDonald Houses throughout the world. There is one here in Norfolk on Colley Ave., across from CHKD. It would be a great service idea to have the girls make cards or simple fleece blankets and then go down to donate them.
*****
word verification for this post: smashele
It sounds like a nick name a brother would give his sister who is named Michelle. he he
Post a Comment